An Examination of Conscience for Healing Family Relationships

Before beginning, find a quiet place where you can be still before God. Put aside the need to defend yourself or explain everything. Begin with gratitude: thank God for the gift of your family, for the love you have received, for the people who have walked with you, and even for the relationships that have been difficult.

Ask the Holy Spirit to enter gently into the places of your heart that you may have avoided. Ask for the grace to see yourself honestly—not with self-condemnation, but with humility. The purpose of an examination of conscience is not to make us despair. It is to help us recognise where love has been wounded, where responsibility has been neglected, and where God may be inviting us towards healing and reconciliation.

“Come, Holy Spirit. Give me light to see my life truthfully, courage to acknowledge my failures, humility to ask forgiveness, and grace to begin again.”

1. Sins of Commission — What I Have Done

These are the things I may have deliberately done, said or entertained that wounded members of my family or damaged peace within the home.

Words, Anger and the Wounds We Cause

  • Have I spoken about my spouse, children, siblings or in-laws in ways that exposed their weaknesses unnecessarily?
  • Have I gossiped about members of my family or shared private matters that were not mine to disclose?
  • Have I used words to humiliate, embarrass, belittle or silence someone I love?
  • Have I allowed anger to control my speech?
  • Have I shouted, insulted, threatened or spoken harshly when patience was required?
  • Have I deliberately said things I knew would hurt another person?
  • Have I assumed the worst about someone's intentions instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt?
  • Have I judged another person's character without knowing the whole story?
  • Have I lied or deceived members of my family to protect myself from embarrassment or responsibility?
  • Have I hidden mistakes, financial decisions or other matters because I was afraid to tell the truth?

Pride, Control and the Need to Be Right

  • Have I allowed pride to prevent me from saying, “I was wrong”?
  • Have I expected others to apologise while refusing to acknowledge my own faults?
  • Have I behaved as though my opinion must always prevail?
  • Have I tried to control family members instead of respecting their freedom and dignity?
  • Have I used guilt, fear, emotional pressure or the silent treatment to get my way?
  • Have I withheld affection or communication as a means of punishing someone?
  • Have I compared my family with others in ways that made them feel inadequate?
  • Have I allowed money, status, possessions or appearances to become more important than love?
  • Have I used my faith to judge, shame or control another person rather than to serve and encourage them?
  • Have I behaved as though I am spiritually superior to members of my family?

When Love Has Been Wounded

If married:

  • Have I treated my husband or wife with the dignity and respect owed to a spouse?
  • Have I mocked, belittled or spoken disrespectfully about my spouse, especially in the presence of children or other people?
  • Have I used intimacy, affection or kindness as a bargaining tool or punishment?
  • Have I allowed inappropriate emotional attachments to develop outside my marriage?
  • Have I entertained thoughts, conversations or relationships that were contrary to marital fidelity?
  • Have I allowed resentment to take root in my marriage instead of seeking honest and respectful conversation?

In every family relationship:

  • Have I deliberately tried to turn one family member against another?
  • Have I taken sides unfairly?
  • Have I used old wounds as weapons during arguments?
  • Have I refused to allow another person to outgrow the mistakes of their past?
  • Have I treated someone according to an old image of them rather than the person they are becoming?

2. Sins of Omission — What I Have Failed to Do

Not every wound is caused by something we did. Sometimes relationships suffer because of what we failed to do.

Love can be wounded by silence, absence, neglect and indifference.

Neglecting Spiritual Responsibility

  • Have I prayed for my spouse, children, parents, siblings and other members of my family?
  • Have I encouraged my family to remain close to God?
  • Have I helped create an atmosphere in which prayer, forgiveness and faith could flourish?
  • Have I neglected family prayer, grace before meals, the Rosary, Sunday Mass or other expressions of our faith?
  • Have I failed to teach or encourage children in the faith when that responsibility belonged to me?
  • Have I failed to lead by example?
  • Have I expected others to live Christian values while my own behaviour contradicted what I taught?

Perhaps the deeper question is:

What kind of image of God have my family members encountered through me?

Have they encountered patience, mercy, truth and forgiveness—or have they sometimes encountered anger, judgement, fear and rejection?

Failing to Love in Practical Ways

  • Have I been too busy to listen?
  • Have I allowed work, social media, entertainment, friendships or other interests to consume the time that should have been given to my family?
  • Have I been physically present but emotionally absent?
  • Have I noticed when someone in my family was hurting?
  • Have I asked, “How are you really doing?”
  • Have I made time for meaningful conversation?
  • Have I celebrated the achievements and milestones of those I love?
  • Have I offered encouragement when someone was struggling?
  • Have I expressed gratitude to those who quietly serve and care for the family?

The Things I Have Left Unsaid

  • Have I failed to tell someone, “I love you”, because I assumed they already knew?
  • Have I failed to say, “Thank you”?
  • Have I failed to say, “I am sorry”?
  • Have I failed to acknowledge someone's pain?
  • Have I failed to tell someone that I appreciate them?
  • Have I allowed pride to keep me from reaching out?

Sometimes the words we never say become the heaviest words we carry.

Forgiveness and Reconciliation

  • Have I held onto resentment long after the original wound?
  • Have I repeatedly revisited another person's failures in my mind?
  • Have I refused to accept a sincere apology?
  • Have I expected perfection from others while asking them to be patient with my own weaknesses?
  • Have I refused to forgive because I believe forgiveness means pretending that nothing happened?
  • Have I confused forgiveness with allowing someone to continue hurting me?
  • Have I failed to take the first step towards reconciliation when it was reasonably possible and safe to do so?

Forgiveness does not mean denying the wound. It does not mean pretending that injustice did not happen. It does not always mean returning a relationship to the way it was before.

Sometimes forgiveness begins simply by placing the person and the pain into God's hands and saying:

“Lord, I no longer want this wound to control my heart.”

Caring for Those Who Are Vulnerable

  • Have I neglected an elderly parent, relative or family member who needed my attention?
  • Have I failed to check on someone who was sick, lonely, grieving or struggling?
  • Have I assumed that someone else would take responsibility?
  • Have I ignored a family member because the relationship had become difficult?
  • Have I allowed an old disagreement to become an excuse for abandoning someone who needed compassion?

3. A Final Question Before God

After considering what I have done and what I have failed to do, I can ask:

Where did I stop loving?

Perhaps I stopped listening.

Perhaps I stopped forgiving.

Perhaps I stopped communicating.

Perhaps I became too proud to apologise.

Perhaps I allowed an old wound to become an identity.

Perhaps I wanted to be right more than I wanted to be reconciled.

Perhaps I expected others to change while refusing to look honestly at myself.

And perhaps, somewhere along the way, I forgot that the people who hurt me are also human beings carrying wounds of their own.

I bring all of this before Christ.

Not to excuse what I have done.

Not to condemn myself.

But to allow God's mercy to tell the truth about my life.

A Prayer for Family Healing

Lord Jesus,

I place my family before you.

I thank you for every person you have entrusted to my life—the people who have loved me, carried me, corrected me, forgiven me and stood beside me.

I also bring before you the relationships that have been wounded.

Where I have caused pain, give me humility to acknowledge it.

Where I have spoken wrongly, teach me to speak with love.

Where I have remained silent when I should have spoken, give me courage.

Where I have failed to listen, make my heart attentive.

Where I have judged, teach me compassion.

Where I have been proud, teach me humility.

Where I have withheld forgiveness, soften my heart.

Where I have neglected someone who needed me, awaken my sense of responsibility.

Where reconciliation is possible, show me the first step.

Where reconciliation is not yet possible, give me patience.

Where boundaries are necessary, give me wisdom.

And where a relationship cannot be restored to what it once was, help me surrender it into your hands without hatred.

Lord, heal what I cannot heal by myself.

Forgive what I have done wrong.

Give me grace to make amends where I can.

Teach me not merely to ask others to change, but to allow you to change me.

May my family encounter in me something of your patience, your mercy and your love.

Holy Spirit, search my heart gently.
Show me the truth.
Give me courage to accept it.
Give me grace to change.
And lead me towards peace.

Amen.

“Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog